Saturday, May 14, 2011

What's with the noise anyway?

Have you ever just sat down and listen to just how loud life is? Even in the relative quiet of your room there is always something making noise. I was awakened this morning (really the middle of the night-but it was after midnight) with the familiar ping of my Blackberry. Sad really, that my ear is so tuned to that irritating little beep, it actually wakes me from a sound sleep. Usually I shut my phone off at night but forgot last night. So much noise, so little quiet.

Its no wonder we have a hard time finding quiet. In fact I find that we are so used to noise that we have become afraid of silence. Yet it is in those quiet times, few as they are, that we hear God. It is not that he has stopped talking to us in this day and age. It is that we have stopped listening.

The Scriptures tell us that Jesus always got alone, or went to a solitary place to pray. I know that was a time and a world that was not so busy and had no electronic stuff to entertain us or distract us. Very true, but as I sit here and type I am looking at my Blackberry (now off) and I see that there are two very facinating buttons. One is the volume, and the other is the off, or red phone button. I hit them both and the world is still turning. We can do what Jesus did. We can find a solitary place and pray, and hear God. The same way Jesus did: disengage from the world and all it's noise. Intentionally shut things down and spend some time in silence. You will be amazed at how loud God can be when you get rid of the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment